Wednesday 1 November 2006

...finally the post you've been waiting for!

Okay, I am really, really, sorry! It's been 3 weeks. Thank you Vicky for the gentle reminder!

It just goes to show how quickly time can fly... we need to start acting upon our dreams today, not tomorrow and certainly not next week. Otherwise before you know it, your life will have flown by and your dreams remained unrealized.

But to my dream... or more specifically, to the meeting with my gym manager, Glen.

In summary, my meeting with Glen demonstrates just how little I know about the fitness industry in Australia, because one major thing I learned is that most fitness professionals don't have a "full time" job with one gym, but rather a series (I guess two or maybe more) of part time jobs with several gyms. The main exception to this is those who work their way up to a manager level. Most also work to build their own personal client base. So all in all, in this industry employment means having a combination of several part-time jobs and also working for yourself through gaining personal training clients of your own.

Our discussion was all very interesting, educational and completely foreign to me. But I liked what I heard.

Where to from here? Well Glen told me that if I am good there will be no end to the number of gyms that will employ me. I am feeling quite optimistic about my prospects because I have the passion and desire to excel and be one of the best in this field. This is not going to be just a job to me. I even have a medical science background to get me started (pop trivia about me: at University I got an undergraduate degree in Biomedical Science) which means I've already got a bit of foundation into the workings of the human body, and I plan to learn more and know my stuff well, not just enough to get me by.

Whilst I know this probably isn't quite the exciting news you were expecting to hear, one thing is for sure. I am definitely excited!

For those of you who are thinking, "yeah, yeah, but what is the outcome of all this?" - my hunch is that Glen would be willing to take me on board his staff once I get my qualification. As for when I will be getting said qualification, I've inquired with the training school and their next class intake is February. I could start earlier if I do it by correspondence but I really feel that I want to do it in a classroom setting and learn from others in the industry whilst also making some friends.

Also, Glen is still willing to book me in through his gym, and has even kindly offered to help me out with anything if I get stuck in my studies. Isn't he awesome?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Come thru! We are reading The Dream Giver in our disipleship cell with James and it's great to know that there is someone out there chansing the Dream! It is inspiring! All the best!

Phillipians 4:13